Movie Review and Horror Theory

Write a 200-word movie review of Barking Dogs Never Bite, in which you examine specific examples from the movie that apply to the horror theories discussed in class. Please contact me if you need access to the film on Netflix.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Horror is from the dark inside

The film "Barking dogs never bite" is not as horrific as the "Scream" films or "the Dumplings". It doesn't have graphic scenes or frightening sound effects. But it does contain elements of horror films. In China, eating dog meat, just like eating frog, is not considered as a horrible act. But there are still a lot stories about friendship between dogs and humans. Also, dogs are considered as humans' best friends in China. Is it odds that Chinese are ignorant about eating dog since they consider dogs their best friends? In the China's history, famines happened very often. The latest one occurred in 1953, in which about 300,000 people died. In any famine, Chinese eat whatever is available, such as grass, leaves, some earth and all kinds of animals. According to Freud, horror is "manifestation of the "uncanny",recurring thoughts...repressed by the ego...vaguely familiar to the individual." Through formal or informal education, we are taught that watching your relatives die of hunger is more horrific than eating dogs. Horror is destruction to humanity. Therefore, when I watched the scene, which the security guard pulled out a dog body from the bucket, I was disturbed and I felt sort of uncomfortable and angry. But soon the feelings subsided. That is because my culture background overcame my disturbing feeling. However, I felt more frightened when I watched the main character Yoon-ju threw the hammer towards his wife. I was afraid that he would do something terrible to his wife. The same Freud horror theory applied to the scene of the security telling "Boiler Kim" story. Every Chinese believes that the persons who died unpeacefully will become ghosts, who will haunt persons who disrespect them. When I watched that scene, I felt something invisible behind me and frightened. So does Yoon-ju. He may feel more scared because he kills a dog in that basement, which can turn into a ghost to haunt him.

No comments:

Post a Comment